Flood insurance facts and tips
As storms continue and local waterways rise, it is important to understand a few facts about flood.
- Flooding is the most common natural disaster
- One inch of water can cost $25,000 in damage
- More than 20% of flood claims come from homes outside high-risk flood zones
Unfortunately, a typical homeowners policy does not cover flood damage, however:
- Comprehensive coverage on a typical auto insurance policy will cover damage to your car caused by a flood.
- Some manufactured home policies cover flood damage.
- You can buy flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and a few private insurers, but there is a 30 day waiting period.
If your home or car is damaged by flood:
- Make safety the top priority when surveying storm damage, avoid downed power lines and watch your step walking around storm debris.
- Save all receipts you obtain from hiring professionals or purchasing supplies to make temporary repairs.
- Record the highest water line on your car and DO NOT attempt to start a flooded vehicle until inspected by a professional.